Glen Hansard and a full team of musicians including The Frames +new violinist+ cellist+ keyboardist + Levon Helm‘s brass section took to the Rooster Stage today Sunday Oct 10th 2012 in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, for the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival.
Hardly Strictly Bluegrass is a free annual music festival in its 12th year funded by the estate of the late wealthy Warren Hellman who played banjo. It has no commercials, no falseness; just genuine talent and good mood all weekend in a beautiful setting. No wonder people love it. I watched them come in droves by bicycle to see it. It made me want to stay in San Francisco.
They were ready and happy and Glen was delighted with the size of the crowd.Photos of a happy Glen watching all the people in the glen: http://www.purevolume.com/festivals/hardly-strictly-bluegrass-2012-day-three/glen-hansard-3/ He was, as usual, leagues above those before and after him. The view from the stage: https://twitter.com/i/#!/graham_hopkins/media/slideshow?url=http%3A%2F%2Finstagr.am%2Fp%2FQgAQ_1jUKK%2F made him really happy. People had swarmed in to see him and many left as he left despite Nick Lowe’s legendary status.
1. Love Don’t Keep Me Waiting + Aretha’s Respect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIFx77-j5GY
2. Talking With The Wolves (extended and more atmospheric)
3. Low Rising (richer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JC7VswwpHc
4. When Your Mind’s Made Up (extended and built up to explosive) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFdHGEzcWcg
5. Bird of Sorrow (always gets you with the lyrics and passion) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMXw496f4b0
6. Astral Weeks (with Smile) – Morrison and Vedder covers in Fasten your Seat Belts Passion style
7. Fitzcarraldo (so happy – it was louder and I miss Mar’s piano work but was very glad to hear it again) Colm’s fiddle was glorious! 7 + 8 in the next clip 🙂
8. Don’t Do It – Helm cover (left people dancing and wanting more)
I had seen them at The Fillmore but enjoyed this more because I could see the crowd and how many there were and how much they enjoyed it. I could feel the air and the sun and smell the trees and other smells in the air. The official actually came on stage to say that it was against the rules to smoke but that was actually worded to say smoke cigarettes. It’s a different world here.
Thanks to Lisa for my spot on the hill. Hi to Karen from Mallow. May San Francisco treat you well.
Colm’s soaring fiddle on Fitzcarraldo brings me to musical heaven.
The crowd loved it. Lots of new converts!
Thank you San Francisco – what a day! You have a beautiful park, truly friendly people and a great event that I will be back to see next year if I can make it.