♫ Once won EIGHT well-deserved Tony Awards 2012 ♫
Congratulations to all especially John Carney, Glen Hansard, Markéta Irglová, Fergus O’ Farrell (composer of Gold), Bob Crowley, Enda Walsh and all the amazing cast and crew of Once the musical. So now it is officially BEST MUSICAL, best book, best director, best scenery, best lighting, best actor, best sound, best orchestration. The only reason it didn’t get best score is that it wasn’t written for the theater. There is no doubt that the score was the best. Go see it if you haven’t done so yet. It got the composers/original actors’ approval. It’s so good to see Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova enjoying this together!
Here is my review of Once the musical: https://ancroiait.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/34-once/
On Tony’s night Steve Kazee quoted Arthur O Shaughnessy’s Ode from Music and Moonlight:
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers and sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers on whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.
Yes, we are:)
ONCE performs Gold at the Tony Awards 2012
Gold by Fergus O’ Farrell of Interference
And I love her so, I wouldn’t trade her for gold.
I’m walking on moon beams. I was born with a silver spoon.
And I’m gonna be me, I’m gonna be free. I’m walking on moon beams and staring out to sea.
And if a door be closed then a row of homes start building.
And tear your curtains down for sunlight is like gold.
And you better be you and do what you can do when you’re walking on moon beams and staring out to sea.
‘Cause if your skin was soil, how long do you think before they start diggin’?
And if your life was gold, how long would you think you’d stay livin’?
And I love her so. I wouldn’t trade her for gold.
Glen and Mar on the red carpet and at the party after the Tonys:
There are those rare people who can look at the world and see things the rest of us don’t see until they show us. These are the writers. There are the special few who can take that vision and turn it back into a world. These are the directors, the designers. There are fearless beings who can live in that world and show us who we are. These are our actors. There are dedicated people who know why that world matters so very much — crew, theater staff, producers, investors, managers, marketers. And then there are the people who step forward and say, show me this world. Open me. Change me. These are our audiences. And when all of these people come together and say “Yes,” there is theater
– Daryl Roth, producer of Clybourne Park, Best Play winner at the Tony Awards 2012
PS. You can get a early listen of Glen’s new album Rhythm and Repose here:
Need to see a live performance: http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/rs-live/glen-hansard-plays-new-solo-tunes-performs-cuts-from-rhythm-and-repose-20120611
Yes, Yes, Yes!!!
Make art, people ♥
PPS. Glen will be performing in The Wiltern, Los Angeles on June 20th
Check out http://www.theswellseason.com/tour/ for more tour details
The two best results of the night:
1. Best musical: “Once”
2. Best book of a musical: Enda Walsh, “Once”
3. Best actor in a musical: Steve Kazee, “Once”
4. Best direction of a musical: John Tiffany, “Once”
5. Best orchestrations: Martin Lowe, “Once”
6. Best scenic design of a musical: Bob Crowley, “Once”
7. Best lighting design of a musical: Natasha Katz, “Once”
8. Best sound design of a musical: Clive Goodwin, “Once”
1. Best sound design of a play: Darron L. West, “Peter and the Starcatcher”
2. Best featured actor in a play: Christian Borle, “Peter and the Starcatcher”
3. Best scenic design of a play: Donyale Werle, “Peter and the Starcatcher”
4. Best costume design of a play: Paloma Young, “Peter and the Starcatcher”
5. Best lighting design of a play: Jeff Croiter, “Peter and the Starcatcher”